This quinoa salad is satisfying enough to serve as a lunch, and flavorsome enough to serve as a side-dish at suppertime. Quinoa is rich in protein and calcium, making it a great meat substitute.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, lime juice, chilli powder, cumin, garlic, and salt; whisk together.(1 minute)
- Bring water to the boil in a saucepan over a high heat. Add the quinoa, stir and cover; then reduce heat to a simmer and cook the quinoa for 15 minutes, or until it has absorbed all the water.(18 minutes)
- Turn off the heat and use a fork to fluff the quinoa. Top the quinoa with maize and black beans; cover the saucepan and leave to stand for 5 minutes.(5 minutes)
- Stir the maize and beans through the quinoa and transfer the mixture to a large bowl to cool.(2 minutes)
- Add the tomato and cilantro to the quinoa; toss until combined. Add ½ the dressing, or to taste, and stir.(3 minutes)
- Half the avocado and remove pit. Peel and discard the skin and thinly slice the flesh.(3 minutes)
- Serve the quinoa mix into bowls and top with avocado slices. Sprinkle with cilantro and chopped parsley to garnish.(2 minutes)
This dish can be prepared in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container to keep and serve cold, as desired.