Not many desserts can beat freshly baked carrot bread, especially when it is made with healthier ingredients. This version of an all-time classic features protein-rich quinoa and whole wheat, resulting in a denser and more filling texture. Bananas, carrots, and almond milk keep this healthy carrot bread moist and tender, while cinnamon, ginger, and maple syrup give it its characteristic charm and aroma.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a large bowl, place the whole wheat flour, quinoa flour, baking powder and soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ginger, nuts, and dried fruits. Give them a mix.(5 minutes)
- In a blender, process together the bananas, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond milk, lemon juice, and coconut oil.(5 minutes)
- Add the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and give them a mix. Add shredded carrots and lemon zest and mix to combine.(5 minutes)
- Pour the mixture into a slightly greased loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.(50 minutes)
- Take out of the oven and set aside to cool.
- If you wish to make an easy glaze, place 1/4 cup of confectioner's sugar in a bowl and slowly keep adding fresh lemon juice, while whisking. Start by one tablespoon and add enough to reach your desired consistency. Then pour over cooled carrot bread and set aside to set. Enjoy!
Although carrot breads are most commonly paired with raisins, walnuts, or pecans, feel free to add any dried fruits - like dried goldenberries or cranberries - or nuts you have on hand, including hazelnuts or almonds.