If you are searching for a delicious dessert made with nutritious ingredients and no refined sugar, give this braided chocolate twist a try! Its dense and wholesome texture is obtained by using flour from quinoa along with whole wheat flour, both of which are more nutritious alternatives to white flour. Its homemade filling is also a healthier option to store-bought spreads as it is made with hazelnuts and cacao, which offer healthy fats and antioxidants, along with a number of key vitamins and minerals.
- Start by mixing the yeast with a ¼ cup of warm water. Set it aside for 10 minutes for yeast to activate. (10 minutes)
- While waiting for the yeast, place all of the ingredients, except for the chocolate spread and the egg, in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Mix in the yeast with the dry mixture and kneed the dough for five minutes. Once smooth and soft, place it in another bowl that was lightly oil. Cover it with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until it doubles in size. (1 hour)
- After about an hour, take the dough out from the bowl and onto a floured cutting board. Roll it to form a rectangle that can fit on your baking sheet (e.g. 12x15 inches or 30x38 cm). (5 minutes)
- Spread the chocolate spread evenly on the dough, leaving a small border on one side. (2 minutes)
- Roll the dough tightly from the shorter side of the rectangle. And transfer it to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (2 minutes)
- Using a knife, make a cut in the middle of rolled dough, leaving one of the ends intact. Then gently twist both ends to form a braid. Pinch the ends. Cover the braid with plastic wrap and set aside for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). (20 minutes)
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with a little water to make the egg wash. Brush the braid with it. Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly brown. (25 minutes)
- Take out of the oven and set aside to cool before serving. Enjoy!
This quinoa chocolate twist will stay fresh for a few days when stored in an airtight container. You may warm it up in the microwave before serving.