This garlic naan with quinoa is a healthy twist on a Persian classic. It can be enjoyed in a number of ways, from eating it like a wrap to using it as pizza crust to soaking it in some delicious, homemade stew. It is also soft yet sturdy enough to be turned into a healthy sandwich! Because it is enriched with quinoa flour, its nutritional content -particularly in protein - is much higher than in the traditional recipe. The addition of garlic butter gives this quinoa naan a delicious flavor and aroma.
- In a large bowl, place the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Set aside for 15 minutes.(15 minutes)
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan. When melted and hot, add the minced garlic and remove the pan from the heat. Give it a mix and set aside.
- When the yeast mixture starts to foam up, add the quinoa flour, all-purpose flour, yogurt, salt, and one tablespoon of garlic butter. Keep mixing and kneading until you achieve a smooth and elastic dough ball.(10 minutes)
- Place the ball in an oiled bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and set aside to rise.(2 hours)
- Punch the dough and transfer it unto to a lightly floured surface.(1 minute)
- Cut the dough into six pieces, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit for 20 minutes.(20 minutes)
- After they have puffed up a little bit, roll each dough into a flatbread that is about 1/8th inch thick.(3 minutes)
- Heat up an iron cast skillet until it is very hot. Fry each flatbread for about three minutes per side.(20 minutes)
- Drizzle with leftover garlic butter and enjoy!
For extra flavor, you may add some finely chopped rosemary or other favorite herbs to your garlic butter.