These strawberry quinoa oatmeal bars can be enjoyed for breakfast and dessert alike! They are naturally sweetened and contain a richness of nutrients, such as complex carbs, protein, iron, and manganese from quinoa and oats. They are also filled with chia strawberry jam which - besides being highly nutritious - gives them a lovely flavor and texture.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C), line an 8 inch x 8 inch baking sheet with parchment paper, and set it aside.
- Ground 1 1/2 cup of oats in a blender and then place it in a large bowl along with the remaining oats, quinoa flakes, coconut oil, 1/3 cup of maple syrup, salt, and vanilla extract. Mix everything together until a wet and well-combined dough forms.(5 minutes)
- Reserve a third of a cup of the dough and use the rest to fill the bottom of the prepared baking sheet. Press it down tighly so that it evenly covers the bottom.(5 minutes)
- To make the jam, add the strawberries, three tablespoon of maple syrup, lemon juice and zest, and chia seeds in a small saucepan.
- Put the heat on to medium. As the mixture cooks, mash the strawberries and cook them for two to three minutes, stirring constantly. It will be quite liquidy.(3 minutes)
- Pour the jam over the crust and even it out. Crumble the reserved dough on top of the jam. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown on top.(30 minutes)
- Take out of the oven and set aside to cool. After 15 minutes, place it on a cooling rack and let cool completely for a few hours.
- Slice into bars and enjoy!
You can enjoy these quinoa oatmeal bars on their own, drizzled with maple syrup, or alongside coconut yogurt or homemade ice cream, like this lucuma vegan ice cream or camu camu blueberry chia ice cream.