Many people who suffer from allergies or who are prone to colds during the winter months are constantly looking for a natural alternative to stop chronic dry coughing. This homemade cough syrup combines garlic's antibiotic and anti-inflammatory power, without any of the potential side effects that usually come with commercial cough syrups. It makes for potent soothing and can be made overnight if a pervasive cough should start.
- Smash the garlic cloves and place them in a saucepan.(1 minute)
- Add one liter of cold water and bring to a simmer.(20 minutes)
- Pour the resulting mixture into a jar, close lid, and leave to infuse overnight.(12 hours)
- The next morning, combine the mixture in a pot with 2 liters of water, and bring to a boil until the mixture is reduced to half of its original volume.(20 minutes)
- Add 1 cup of honey and keep the heat at 110° F (43° C) to thicken the syrup, stirring occasionally.(30 minutes)
- Remove the syrup from the fire, place in smaller bottles, and let it cool down before using.(2 hours)
Take one tablespoon of this syrup every 3 hours or as needed in order to relieve coughing. Dosage can be adjusted based on cough severity and individual response. It may be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks.