The unusual blend of chicory, nutty, and citrus flavors in this risotto make it an interesting recipe to add to your vegetarian repertoire. Omit milk from the ingredients list to make it vegan.
- In a pot, gently heat the oil over a low heat. Add the almonds, and stir continuously for several minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from the pot immediately and set aside.(5 minutes)
- Place the shallots in the pot, cover with a lid, and leave them to cook over a medium low heat for five minutes, stirring every so often after two minutes. Add garlic, chicory leaves, and a pinch of salt, then leave uncovered to cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.(35 minutes)
- Turn the heat to medium and add the rice, stirring constantly to thoroughly combine the flavors. Add the wine, and allow to cook for approximately one minute.(2 minutes)
- Add half a cup of stock and continue to stir as the liquid is absorbed. Once nearly fully absorbed, add another half cup. Repeat this process, stirring continuously, until three cups of stock have been added. Taste the rice; if it is not yet tender, continue to add stock in half cupfuls until it is.(20 minutes)
- Once the rice is just cooked, add the milk and continue stirring softly until completely heated through.(1 minute)
- Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, almonds, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with raw chicory before serving.(3 minutes)
Like all risottos, this dish is best enjoyed immediately.