- TypeSoups and Stews
- Estimated Time30 Minutes
- PairingWarm, crusty bread
This leafy savory soup is packed with vitamins, color, and flavor; serve it up at lunchtime with a warm, crusty roll for dunking.
- Bring the vegetable stock to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Rinse the valerian and basil leaves in cold water, then add them to the stock. Leave to boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.(6 minutes)
- Transfer the leaves and 1/3 of the liquid into a food processor; leave to cool for 5 minutes, then purée. Keep the liquid in the saucepan hot.(5 minutes)
- Meanwhile melt the butter over a medium heat in a different saucepan. Add the spring onions and cook for 3 minutes, until softened, then add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds.(4 minutes)
- Stir in the bulgur, then pour in the leftover vegetable stock; cover the saucepan and leave bulgur to soak for 10 minutes. Add the puréed leaves to the bulgur mix and stir.(10 minutes)
- Before serving, reheat gently, stir in yogurt and season with black pepper to taste. Garnish with extra basil leaves or sprig.(5 minutes)
Follow steps 1 - 4 to prepare this soup in advance, and refer to step 5 prior to serving.