As well as being a popular seasoning, sage has significant medical value as an antiseptic and carminative herb. This means the flavorsome sage butter in this butternut gnocchi not only provides delicious savory contrast to the sweetness of butternut, but could also could help soothe digestion problems and ease excessive perspiration.
- Stir the all-purpose flour and cake flour together in a bowl and set aside.(1 minute)
- Put the butternut puree in a separate bowl, and add the olive oil, nutmeg, and salt. Stir until combined, and then add the mixture to the flour.(3 minutes)
- Use a spatula to fold the butternut mixture into the flour until no flour remains visible and a sticky dough has formed. If the dough is not solid enough to hold a shape, add more flour until it is.(5 minutes)
- Take half the dough and roll into a a cylinder shape of approximately 1 1/2 inch diameter on a well-floured surface. Slice the dough at 1/2 inch intervals and place on a baking sheet covered in flour.(8 minutes)
- Fill one saucepan with water and bring to the boil. In the meantime, heat coconut oil in a separate frying pan, and add the shallots and sage to sautee as the gnocchi cooks.(4 minutes)
- Repeat this process with the second half of the dough. Once all the pieces have been cut and placed on the baking tray, toss them in the flour to ensure they are all thoroughly coated to prevent sticking.(8 minutes)
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling water and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, or until they float to the surface. Drain, and add gnocchi to the frying pan with the shallots and sage.(4 minutes)
- Toss gnocchi with the sage butter, and serve immediately.(2 minutes)
This gnocchi is best enjoyed immediately.