This recipe transforms seemingly ordinary eggs and an avocado sandwich into a flavorful and highly nutritious creation. Poached eggs, with their delicious runny yolks, are a great way to help fulfill daily protein requirements. Avocados, too, are a rich protein source, but also offer lots of healthy fats, crucial in regulating cholesterol and protecting the heart. Topping this sandwich with fresh basil gives it a nice crunch and a nutritional punch thanks to its richness in vitamins A, B6, and C, among others.
- Begin by making poached eggs. In a small sauce pan, add water, vinegar, and a sprinkle of salt, and bring water to a boil. Then reduce the heat and bring the water down to a simmer.(3 minutes)
- Crack each egg into a small bowl and gently slip them into the water one by one. Cover the pan and let them cook for three to four minutes until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny.(4 minutes)
- Meanwhile, lightly toast your bread slices.
- When the eggs are ready, gently take them out with a slotted spoon and place them on a piece of paper towel to dry the water off.(1 minute)
- Cut the avocado into chunks, add salt and lemon juice, and smashed them a bit with a fork.(1 minute)
- To assemble each sandwich, lay half of the spinach leaves on the bread, then the avocado mixture followed by one poached egg. You may sprinkle it with some smoked paprika or herbes de Provence, if you prefer. Then place the remaining spinach leaves and top with a slice of bread.(3 minutes)
- Enjoy it right away!