Baked fruits make for a wonderful and healthy treat, and these baked pears with kaniwa crumble topping are no exception! Pears are known for their pleasant, mildly sweet flavor as well as digestion-regulating properties, most commonly attributed to their high fiber and fructose content. When baked, they become even sweeter and deliciously soft, which is nicely complemented with crunchiness from kaniwa topping. Kaniwa, along with walnuts, also adds an abundance of dietary fiber as well as easily digestible plant protein. Overall, this wholesome desserts is definitely a keeper!
- Start by preheating the oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Cut the pears in half and scoop out the center to make space for the filling.(2 minutes)
- Place them in a baking dish cut-side up, brush them with a little bit of butter, and sprinkle them with cinnamon and brown sugar.(2 minutes)
- To make the crumble, mix together walnuts, kaniwa flakes, honey, butter, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Fill the pears with the crumble.(5 minutes)
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until soft and golden brown.(40 minutes)
- You may drizzle the pears with honey or maple syrup or top them with ice cream. Enjoy warm!
If you want to go an extra mile, whip up some homemade ice cream to serve alongside these baked pears with kaniwa crumble topping. Try out vegan lucuma ice cream, cashew ice cream with cacao nibs, or camu camu blueberry chia ice cream.