Try this whole-wheat recipe for a healthier take on the classic apple pie. With sweet and juicy fruits bursting from a piping hot crust, this dessert will be a hit with all the family.
- In a large bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups of the flour and a pinch of salt. Cut in the cold butter, and gradually add the water until the mixture forms a doughy consistency.(5 minutes)
- Gather the dough into a ball and pat into a disc; cover and refrigerate for thirty minutes.(30 minutes)
- Separate 1/3 of the dough and set aside. Sprinkle a surface and rolling pin with flour and roll the larger portion of dough into a circle of approximately 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter. Gently fold into quarters to maneuver dough into a greased ovenproof dish and use a knife to trim to size.(5 minutes)
- In a bowl, pour lemon juice over the apple slices and toss to coat thoroughly.(2 minutes)
- In a separate bowl, combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, remaining salt, and sugar. Disperse over the apple slices and mix.(3 minutes)
- Pour 6 cups of the sliced apples into a large saucepan and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.(10 minutes)
- Add the remaining apple slices and whole-wheat flour to the pan, mix thoroughly, and leave the contents to cool for 30 minutes.(30 minutes)
- Preheat the oven to 425° F (220° C). Pour apple mixture into the pie dish over the dough. Retrieve the remaining dough, roll out, and trim into strips to arrange in a crossed pattern over the pie dish. Brush pie lid with egg whites and sprinkle with cinnamon.(10 minutes)
- Put in the oven to cook for 40 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for around 20 minutes before serving.(1 hour)
This dish can be eaten straight away, eaten cold, or reheated after cooling. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days to store.