- Estimated Time21 Minutes
- ServedRoom Temperature
- Yield16 servings
- 1/4 cup of Cacao Powder
- 2 cups of Hazelnuts (raw)
- 1 tablespoon of Vanilla (extract)
- Salt (a pinch)
- 1/2 cup of Whole Milk (use almond milk to make it vegan)
- 4 tablespoons of Agave syrup
It's common for favorite childhood food to not always be the healthiest. This is why making this homemade chocolate hazelnut spread from scratch is so fulfilling! It is made with aromatic hazelnuts, which are rich in healthy fats, magnesium, and calcium, all of which contribute to the health of heart, bones, and digestive tract. The chocolate flavor comes from pure cacao, which is abundant in antioxidants, fiber, and, iron, among other vitamins and minerals. Cacao has been shown to improve mood and cardiovascular health. Additionally, the syrup derived from the agave plant possesses a low glycemic index and adds a pleasant but not overpowering sweetness.
- Preaheat the over to 400°F (200°C). Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake them until they get a slightly brown color.(8 minutes)
- Take the hazelnuts out of the oven and place them on a clean kitchen towel. Let them cool a little bit. When they are cool enough to handle but still warm, rub as much skin off of them as possible (some skins stay on).(5 minutes)
- Place the roasted hazelnuts in a high-powered blender or a food processor. Blend until they turn into butter.(5 minutes)
- Add all of the ingredients and blend until creamy.(3 minutes)
This healthy hazelnut cream can be featured in all kinds of yummy recipes, although it is a great spread on its own for homemade bread, such as nutty goldenberry bread or gluten-free maca bread. It can also serve as a filling of vegan maca crepes with strawberries or chocolaty espresso cookie cups.