These traditional holiday cookies are delicious enough to be enjoyed all year long, especially since they are made with guilt-free ingredients! They are made with ground almonds and amaranth, which not only make them rich in protein, but also give them a unique flavor and pleasant texture. Although these soft and chewy amaranth almond thumbprint cookies are most commonly filled with raspberry jam, they can paired with any jam variety. They will beautifully decorate any holiday table and are guaranteed to please the crowds!
- Start by preheating the oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
- In a large bowl, place the almond flour, amaranth flour, baking soda, and a pinch of salt. Give it a mix.(3 minutes)
- In another bowl, mix together the egg, vanilla extract, honey, and coconut oil.(3 minutes)
- Pour the wet ingredients into a bowl with the dry ingredients and mix it until combines.(4 minutes)
- Form the dough into a ball and refrigerate it for half an hour wrapped in a plastic foil.(30 minutes)
- Dive the dough into about 16 parts. Roll each piece into a ball, place it on a parchment lined baking sheet, and press the middle of each cookie with the thumb.(5 minutes)
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until sightly brown on the bottom.(10 minutes)
- Take the cookies out of the oven, touch up the thumbprint with the back of a wooden spoon, and set them aside to cool. Then fill them with the jam of choice and enjoy!(5 minutes)
For extra sweetness, you may drizzle your cookies with melted white chocolate. If you would like to use homemade jam, check out our chia blueberry jam, goldenberry jam,or dried goldenberry apricot chia preserve.