Tomatoes are the most popular pasta ingredient for a good reason - they are not only versatile and delicious, but also add a richness of beneficial compounds, such as lycopene or carotenoids. Olives bring healthy fats to the table, while capers are packed with antioxidants and compounds that improve circulation. Garnished with fresh herbs, this vegetarian spaghetti alla puttanesca will surely become your go-to pasta dish.
- Start by putting a large pot of water on the stove and bring it to a boil. Cook your pasta according to the instructions on the package. Then drain and reserve.(10 minutes)
- In the meantime, sauté the garlic in a high-sided skillet for about a minute until fragrant. Be careful not to burn it.(1 minute)
- Add the cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, capers, and pureed tomatoes. Give it a stir.(1 minute)
- Add the salt, crushed chili peppers, black pepper, and oregano. Mix it and let it simmer until the sauce thickens.(10 minutes)
- Add the reserved pasta into the pot with the sauce. Mix well and leave on low heat for two more minutes so that everything is well combined.(2 minutes)
- Transfer to a plate and garnish with fresh basil and parsley. You may also add some shredded Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
This vegetarian puttanesca is a great option for a wholesome lunch or quick dinner.