This recipe gives this famous Italian classic a vegetarian twist. Tomatoes are the most common pasta ingredients for a good reason - they are not only versatile and delicious, but also add a richness of beneficial compounds, such as lycopene or carotenoids. Olives bring healthy fats to the table, which have been recognized for balancing cholesterol levels. Capers, on the other hand, are packed with antioxidants and compounds that strengthen the blood vessels and improve circulation. Garnished with fresh herbs, this vegetarian spaghetti alla puttanesca will surely become your go-to pasta dish.
- Start by putting a large pot of water on the stove and bring it to a boil. Then, cook your pasta according to the instructions on the package. Then drain and reserve.(10 minutes)
- In the meantime, saute the garlic in another pot for about a minute until fragrant. Be careful not to burn it.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, capers, and pureed tomatoes. Give it a stir.
- Add the salt, crushed chili peppers, black pepper, and oregano. Mix it and let it simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Add the reserved pasta into the pot with the sauce. Mix well and leave on low heat for two more minutes so that everything is well combined.(2 minutes)
- Transfer to a plate and garnish with fresh basil and parsley. You may also shred some Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
This vegetarian puttanesca is a great option for a wholesome lunch or quick dinner.