This easy lentil loaf recipe is a great option for non-meat eaters wanting to ensure proper protein intake as well as those who do eat meat, but are looking to cut down on it in their diet.
Lentils, the star of this recipe, provide a good dose of protein for muscle formation and dietary fiber for proper gut functions. They also contain a richness of other nutrients, like phytochemicals, folates, and phosphorus. Amaranth helps this lentil loaf keep its form and shares its essential amino acids, most notably lysine, which is necessary for collagen production. Mushrooms, on the other hand, are a great source of B vitamins and copper. Enhanced with nutrient-rich vegetables, like carrots and bell peppers, this amaranth lentil loaf is a delicious way to stay healthy and full.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Then heat up two tablespoons of oil in a skillet and saute the onions, garlic, bell pepper, carrots, mushrooms, and rosemary until soft.(10 minutes)
- Transfer the vegetables to a food processor and add the lentils, amaranth flour, eggs, onion powder, black pepper, and salt. Pulse until the mixture is well combined but still slightly chunky.(5 minutes)
- Place the filling into a parchment paper lined loaf pan and press it down firmly so that it is evenly distributed.(2 minutes)
- To make the glaze, combine one tablespoon of oil with mustard and soy sauce. Spread on top of the loaf.(2 minutes)
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool before cutting. Enjoy!(45 minutes)