With numerous antioxidant health benefits, bilberries are a healthy and bittersweet addition to this delicious pie, which can be heated up or served cold, and sweetened according to preferred taste.
- For the pastry, combine the butter, lemon zest, and flour together in a bowl, using your fingertips to rub together until a grain-like consistency forms. Stir in the egg and 20 g of the sugar; roll into a ball and leave to rest in the refrigerator for half an hour to rest.(30 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Wash bilberries and remove stalks. In a bowl, mix bilberries with the remaining caster sugar. If a sweeter flavor is preferred, add extra sugar.(4 minutes)
- Remove pastry from the refrigerator and roll half to line the pie dish. Grease and flour the pie dish before lining it with the rolled pastry.(6 minutes)
- For a sweeter pie, egg wash the pastry base. Pour bilberry mixture over the pastry, and dust with extra sugar, as preferred. Roll the remaining pastry thin and cover the top of the pie. Egg wash the top layer of pastry.(5 minutes)
- Bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and leave to cool slightly before serving hot, or refrigerate to serve cold.(25 minutes)
This pie should be enjoyed within a few days of being baked.