With potent antioxidant potential, bilberries are a healthy addition to a variety of pies. This pie's delicious and lightly sweetened filling is nested in delicate, homemade crust. Whether served cold or heated up, it can be enjoyed guilt-free.
- To make the dough, combine the butter, lemon zest, and flour together in a bowl. Using your fingertips, pinch the mixture together until a grain-like consistency forms. Stir in the egg and two tablespoons of sugar. Roll it into a ball and leave it in the refrigerator for half an hour to rest.(30 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Wash bilberries and remove stalks. In a bowl, mix bilberries with the rest of the sugar.(4 minutes)
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and cut it in half. Roll it out and use it to line a pie dish.(6 minutes)
- Pour the bilberry mixture into the dish. Roll the remaining part of the dough and cover the top of the pie. Egg wash the top of the pie.(5 minutes)
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before serving.(25 minutes)