Easy, healthy, and delicious - this sweet potato wild rice with cranberries and walnuts recipe has it all! Wild rice blends contain more protein than white rice, not to mention dietary fiber for smooth digestion. Sweet potatoes are full of nutrients, including beta carotene, manganese, and B vitamins. Enhanced with cranberries and walnuts, this wild rice is a nutritiously balanced meal.
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package, keeping in mind that wild rice cooks longer than white rice.(45 minutes)
- While the rice is cooking, put the skillet on medium high. Add the olive oil and onions and cook until translucent.(5 minutes)
- Add the garlic and cook for about a minute, stirring so that it does not burn.(1 hour)
- Then add the sweet potato cubes, mix with the onions and garlic, and lower the heat to medium. Cook until the sweet potato is tender, about 10 minutes.(10 minutes)
- Add the thyme and stir it so that it releases its fragrance. Then add the walnuts and cranberries. If you like a little heat, add a few thin slices of yellow chili pepper. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Give everything a good stir and cook it for another 2-3 minutes.(3 minutes)
- Put the heat off and add the cooked rice and the lemon juice. Mix well so that all of the flavors and vegetables coat the rice. Adjust the seasoning to your liking.(2 minutes)
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve warm. Enjoy!
This sweet potato wild rice with cranberries and walnuts is delicious on its own or accompanied by lean protein of your choice. It is a great healthy dinner idea and a wholesome lunch for the following day.