Unlike desserts packed with sugar, eating a piece of a delicious maca bar will give your body an abundance of nutrients and fiber. For starters, maca is a South American superfood, recognized for its effects on hormonal balance. Cacao is a great energy and mood stimulant thanks to its richness in theobromine. Hazelnuts, on the other hand, have been shown to lower bad cholesterol, thus decreasing the risk of heart disease. On top of that, blueberries are one of the best sources of antioxidants and give these maca cacao hazelnut bars a great dose of freshness.
- Soak hazelnuts in water for four hours.
- To make the crust, process the almonds and flax seeds in a food processor until finely ground. Add one tablespoon of agave syrup and one tablespoon of coconut oil. Continue pulsing until dough-like consistency.(4 minutes)
- Lightly oil a 9 x 9-inch baking dish and press the dough onto the bottom until evenly distributed. Place in the freezer for half an hour.(30 minutes)
- For the filling, process all of the remaining ingredients at once to form a smooth and thick mixture. Add a little bit more water if it is too thick.(3 minutes)
- Take the crust of out of the freezer, spread the filling onto it, and then place it back in the freezer for another hour.(1 hour)
- When firm, transfer it to the fridge before serving. Garnish with fresh blueberries and enjoy!