Beans make for a nutritious dinner, especially in vegan or vegetarian diets. They offer protein, fiber, magnesium, and B vitamins, while tomatoes add potassium and vitamins A and K. This white bean stew is not only filling, but will give the body key nutrients that help lower blood pressure, regulate sugar levels, and protect it against cardiovascular disease.
- Cook the beans in water overnight. The next day, drain the beans, place them in a pot with bay leaf, cover with 3-4 inches of water, and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.(1 hour)
- Crush the tomatoes in a food processor, including the juice.(2 minutes)
- In another pot, sauté the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and cook it for another minute.(5 minutes)
- Add crushed tomatoes into the pot and mix and bring to a boil.(5 minutes)
- Add the beans and simmer the stew for about 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens. You may crush about 1/4 cup of the stew with the fork to thicken the stew a little more. Add salt, pepper, and cumin. Enjoy!(20 minutes)
You can eat this white bean stew on its own alongside crusty bread or as a side dish.