Shawarma is one of the most popular Middle Eastern dishes. This recipe replaces the traditional meat filling with mushrooms, generously seasoned with aromatic spices, such as cumin, cinnamon, and others. Served with fresh vegetables, this mushroom shawarma is an incredibly satisfying idea for a healthy lunch.
- In a bowl, mix together all of the spices.
- Cut off the mushroom stems and reserve them for another recipe.(3 minutes)
- Spread the mushroom caps on a baking sheet and season them with the spice mixture on both sides.(2 minutes)
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and add the caps (stem facing down). Cook them until the water evaporates and the caps reduce in size.(10 minutes)
- Take the mushroom caps out of the skillet and cut them into slices.(3 minutes)
- To assemble your mushroom shawarma, warm your pita and top it with some Tzatiziki or hummus, vegetables of choice, and the mushrooms. Enjoy right away!
You can serve you mushroom shawarma with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and radishes, among other veggies.