These baked apple rings with cinnamon are a beautiful, delicious, and easy dessert, especially when apples are in season. As they bake, apples become soft and sweet, which perfectly complements the softness and fluffiness of yeast dough.
- In a bowl, mix together the yeast and milk until dissolved. Then mix in the butter, sugar, eggs, and salt until well combined. Gradually add the flour until incorporated (the dough will still be sticky).(5 minutes)
- Take the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.(5 minutes)
- Place it in a greased bowl, cover, and set aside until it doubles in size.(1 hour)
- Then punch dough down, take it onto a floured surface, dust it with flour, and roll it into a large, thin rectangle.(5 minutes)
- Using a knife, cut it into 6 equal rectangles (one for reach apple). Cut each rectangle into about 20-24 thin slices.(5 minutes)
- Working one at a time, wrap dough slices around apple rings, pinching their ends together when necessary. Place each wrapped apple ring on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.(10 minutes)
- Make an egg wash and brush it over the apple rings. Mix together the cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle it over the rings. Bake at 350°F (176°C) for about 16-20 minutes or until apples have softened and dough is lightly browned.(20 minutes)
- Let cool completely before eating. Dust with powdered sugar (optional) and enjoy!