These fluffy, autumn-themed bread rolls can be enjoyed all year round and do not require advanced baking skills. As an added bonus, they are enhanced with complete protein from amaranth, while their lovely color and dietary fiber come from pumpkin. You may use them as base for healthy sandwiches or serve them for dinner to soak up delicious sauces from curries and stews.
- Start by mixing warm water, yeast, and honey in a large bowl. Set it aside for five minutes.(5 minutes)
- Then mix in the pumpkin puree.(2 minutes)
- At last, add the flours and salt and give everything a good mix until combined.(3 minutes)
- When it is well incorporated, take the dough out on a lightly floured service and knead it for five to eight minutes.(8 minutes)
- Then put the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it with plastic wrap or kitchen towel, and set aside to rise for 1.5 hours.(90 minutes)
- Punch the dough down, shape it into a ball, and divide it into 8 equal parts like a pie.(2 minutes)
- Shape each piece into a small ball. Place a long string on your cutting board and place one dough ball on it. Cross the two ends of the string over the ball. Then flip the ball and cross the string again, making a cross. Flip it again, cross the string and then repeat it one more time. Make a knot and place the ball the knot side down on a baking dish lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the rest of the balls.(10 minutes)
- Cover the balls loosely with plastic wrap and let them rise for half an hour.(30 minutes)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). You may brush them with egg wash (optional). Bake the rolls for 15-18 minutes or until lightly golden brown.(18 minutes)
- Take out of the oven, let cool down for 15 minutes before gently removing the string. Enjoy!