Gingerbread cookies are one of the most characteristic components of the holiday season. These soft gingerbread cookies are made with a combination of three flours, which enhances their nutritional value with whole wheat's fiber, amaranth's complete protein, and almond's healthy fats. The mix of the spices, like cinnamon, ginger, or nutmeg, give them their unique flavor and aroma, whereas their mild sweetness comes from molasses and maple syrup, both of which better alternatives to refined sugar.
- Place all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and give them a mix.(3 minutes)
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, egg, molasses, and maple syrup.(3 minutes)
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour bowl and mix to combine. Add a little more whole wheat flour if the dough is too wet.(3 minutes)
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic, and refrigerate for an hour.(30 minutes)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour the surfaced and roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out the gingerbread men cookies and repeat the process until all of the dough is used. Place them on the baking sheet.(15 minutes)
- Bake for 12 minutes. Take out from the oven and set aside to cool completely.(12 minutes)
You may enjoy your amaranth gingerbread cookies on their own or decorate them with your favorite toppings.