These chewy chocolate amaretti cookies are a vegan variation to the classic Italian dessert. They are made with aquafaba instead of egg whites. They have a marzipan-like interior and a lovely flavor of almonds and cacao. Sweet and light, they are a real treat, especially during the holidays.
- Start by preheating the oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Line a heavyweight cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the almond flour, salt, sugar, and cacao powder.(2 minutes)
- Using a hand-held mixer, whip the aquafaba and lemon juice until stiff peaks form.(5 minutes)
- Combine the aquafaba mixture with the almond flour mixture along with vanilla (or almond) extract. Mix it until a soft dough forms.(5 minutes)
- Scoop out dough using a small cookie scoop. Then roll it into a ball with your hands. Roll it in powdered sugar. Place it on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the rest of the dough.(10 minutes)
- Bake for about 25 minutes until they've cracked on the top.(25 minutes)
- Remove from the oven, allow them to cool for 5 minutes, and then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.(5 minutes)