This easy sage vinegar poultice is an excellent first-aid remedy for sprains and bruises. It takes a few minutes to make, but can offer a long-lasting relief. The two ingredients in this recipe, sage and vinegar, have similar properties when used topically. They both reduce inflammation and swelling, thus lowering the pain and speeding up the healing process.
- Place the sage leaves on a cutting board and gently bruise them with a rolling pin.(1 minute)
- Take a saucepan and place the leaves inside of it. Pour the vinegar over them so that they are covered. Put the heat on to low and simmer the mixture for five minutes, while making sure the vinegar does not boil.(5 minutes)
- Using kitchen tongs, take out the leaves and place them in the center of a clean compress.(2 minutes)
- Grab all four corners together, leaving the leaves inside, and tie them with a piece of thread.(1 minute)
- Place on the affected area as hot as tolerable to avoid burns. You may cover the poultice with a plastic wrap or a kitchen towel. Keep in place for 30-60 minutes.