This sweet potato lentil stew is packed with flavorful ingredients. It will fill you with quality protein from lentils, complex carbs from sweet potatoes, healthy fats from the milk of coconut, and a bunch of key vitamin and minerals from other wholesome ingredients.
- Pierce the sweet potato with a fork, wrap it in aluminum foil, and bake at 450°F (230°C) for 45 minutes to an hour, or until soft. Then set it aside.(45 minutes)
- Sauté the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and cook it for another minute.(5 minutes)
- Add the cumin, curry powder, turmeric, black pepper, and salt and give everything a stir. Then add the lentils, crushed tomatoes, and water (or vegetable broth). Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer it for about 15 minutes.(15 minutes)
- Meanwhile, peel the sweet potato and mash it with a fork.
- When lentils are soft, add the coconut milk, mashed sweet potato, and chopped spinach. Give it a stir and cook it for another minute or two. Adjust the seasoning to your liking.(2 minutes)
- Serve right away and enjoy!
You can serve your sweet potato lentil stew on its own with a piece of crusty bread. It is also delicious alongside brown rice and topped with avocado, parsley, and a squeeze of lime juice.