Special Date: Mediterranean Diet Month
- Posted on: Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter
- Post Date: 14 May 2015
May is International Mediterranean Diet Month, as it marks the 22nd anniversary of the introduction of the Mediterranean Diet and its companion, the Med Diet Pyramid, to the U.S. audience. The Mediterranean Diet Pyramid was developed by a Oldways, a food and nutrition nonprofit, and backed by the Harvard School in Public Health and the World Health Organization in May 1993. They based themselves on the traditional Mediterranean pattern of eating and provides a quick, visual guideline for the types and frequency of foods which should be enjoyed every day.
The Mediterranean diet is not only recognized an "intangible cultural heritage" by UNESCO, but is also regarded as one of the healthiest eating patterns around the world. In contrast to the Standard American Diet, which is usually higher in red meat, processed foods, and sugary desserts, the Mediterranean way includes more fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains; it also replaces red meat, butter, and lard with fish, poultry, eggs, and olive oil. It emphasizes seasonal, fresh, and locally grown foods, and combines them with a moderate amount of red wine and regular physical activity - two other pillars of the Mediterranean lifestyle which are shown to be excellent for heart health.
Are you looking for a Mediterranean Recipe? Try one of our favorites, the Catalonian Garlicky Tomato Toast
- Did You Know: How to Get Better Sleep
- Quote: Push Yourself Because No One Else is Going to Do It For You
- Quote: If You Keep Good Food In Your Fridge, You Will Eat Good Food
- Quote: There is No Diet That Will Do What Eating Healthy Does
- Quote: The Expert in Anything Was Once a Beginner
- Special Date: Fathers Day
- Quote: Health Is a Relationship Between You and Your Body
- Quote: It is Health That is Real Wealth
- Quote: Sleep Less and Dream More
- New Study: Valerian Relieves Restless Legs Syndrome