Supplements of lemon balm for oral consumption are extremely easy to find online, as capsules, tablets or softgel pills. However, if you have dried leaves available, lemon balm capsules can be made at home.
Capsules are solid dosage forms in which herbs can be enclosed within either a hard or soft soluble container, or ''shell.'' The shells are usually formed from gelatin; however, they may also be made of starch or other suitable substances. Their sizes range from No. 5 to No. 000, except for veterinary sizes. However, size No. 00 is generally the largest size acceptable to consumers and has a maximum capacity of 665 mg.
Gelatin capsules should preferably be administered with a warm drink, whereas vegetarian capsules (made out of methylcellulose) can be taken with cold or warm drinks.
How to Make Lemon Balm Capsules
Capsules are a very practical way to reap the many benefits of lemon balm and control the dosage you are ingesting. Gelatin or vegetarian capsule cases are available from specialty outlets.
To make capsules of lemon balm, you will need:
- Dried and powdered lemon balm leaves (the finer the powder, the better the quality)
- Size 00 capsules (with a capacity of approximately 665 mg)
Step by step process:
- Pour the lemon balm powder into a bowl and slide the capsule halves toward one another, scooping up the powder. Alternatively, use a capsule-making tray.
- When the halves of the capsule are filled with powder, slide them together without spilling the powder. Store in a cool place, preferable in dark, glass containers with a hermetic seal.
This preparation has a shelf life of three to four months, and the recommended therapeutic dosage is two to three lemon balm capsules a day, between meals and before going to bed.
Benefits of Lemon Balm Capsules
Taking capsules of lemon balm is a great way to concentrate the benefits of the lemon balm plant in therapeutic doses. This lemon balm supplement is ideal for the treatment of anxiety and insomnia, as well as for relieving irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
The preparation and storage of lemon balm capsules is really simple and can be easily done at home, ensuring the quality and adequate dosage of the lemon balm you are going to consume.
- Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine, p. 292
- Chemical & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, The shell dissolution of various empty hard capsules, 2000
- Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Science and Research, Pharmaceutical Technology, 2007
- Pharmacopeial Forum, Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms, 2009
- World Journal of Gastroenterology, Herbal medicines for the management of irritable bowel syndrome: A comprehensive review, 2012