- Estimated Time13 Minutes
- Form of UseTopical
- 1/2 cup of Basil (leaves, fresh)
- 1 cup of Lotion base (parabens-free, unscented)
Basil is an aromatic way to prevent and relieve mosquito bites, acting as a great anti-inflammatory, antiseptic agent. When applied to a mosquito bite, this basil poultice will relieve swelling, redness, and itching. It makes for an environmentally friendly solution for camping trips and countryside treks, while remaining gentle enough for children, adults, and elderly.
- Mash basil leaves with a mortar and pestle until it achieves a paste-like consistency. If needed, a few drops of water can be added.(5 minutes)
- Heat the lotion base in a double boiler, or in a small pot placed inside a larger pot full of simmering water. Watch it closely.(5 minutes)
- Once the lotion base has been thinned out enough, remove it from the double boiler and mix it thoroughly with the basil paste.(3 minutes)
Apply the resulting poultice in the affected area directly on the skin, and leave it there for up to 20 minutes.